“I will set my throne in Elam.” Jeremiah 49:38
The Persian church is experiencing growth that is unparalleled in the Islamic world. While it is impossible to know accurate numbers, the most conservative estimates are around 200,000 believers, while some say more than 1,000,000 have trusted Christ in Iran today. Today, Iran is recognised as the fastest growing Church in the world.
The church is growing despite increasing persecution. Official Persian-speaking church buildings are almost all closed down, and according to Ahmad Shaheed’s latest UN report, there are currently over 90 Iranians in jail for their faith in Christ.
As we celebrate this great work of God’s spirit in our time, we also acknowledge key needs of the Persian church:
- STABLE DEPTH AS WELL AS BREADTH
- Much of what is seen in the Persian church is evangelism without discipleship. While there are many turning to Christ, there is a concern about the movement’s lack of depth. People need to be discipled so that they can grow and mature in their faith.
- SOUND BIBLICAL THEOLOGY
- Inadequate theology cannot only hinder church growth but it can lead to dangerous distortions of the gospel and even result in widespread heresy. Sound biblical theology is needed as the backbone of a healthy body, providing support to the body of Christ.
- SAFE SERVENT-LEADERS
- While the church is growing rapidly, only a handful of leaders have a deep and firm grasp of the Bible or have undergone any kind of leadership training. There is a large gap between the leaders available and the leaders needed to walk the Persian church to maturity in the faith.
- STRONG FOUNDATIONS
- Pray for the strengthening of the Church’s foundations so that it is built on rock and not on sand, to the glory of God.